If you are planning to release news to print and online journalists, it will help to create a proper press release template. Once you have set up a template, it can be used for future press releases, saving you time. Here are some tips on the essentials that you need to include:
1. Create your press release template in MS Word or another, similarly accessible format. If a new version of Word comes out, use the slightly older version until you are sure that most journalises will be able to open the new format.
2. Add a logo to the top of your document.
3. Underneath, on the left hand side, add ‘For Immediate Release’.
4. In the centre, add the words ‘Press Release’.
5. Underneath, add a headline for the press release such as ‘ABG Graphics Acquires West London Design Company’
6. Start your press release with the location of your news release and the date – for example “London, 15th February 2011”
7. After the main press release, add a final paragraph containing boilerplate about the company; for example
‘About ABG Graphics:
ABG Graphics is a London based graphic design company specialising in design for all types of fashion industry catalogues. Founded in 1985, ABG now has a staff of 165 people in the UK and China and dedicates itself to serving leading names in fashion retail.’
8. At the bottom of the release add a section: ‘For Further Information:’ and then include your contact details which should include your name, your title, telephone number and email address.
These tips should help to get you started with any PR activity. Look out for next week’s post on writing press releases.